Professor Ramanath received his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Illinois-Urbana in 1997. His doctoral work won him a Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award (now known as the Gold Award). He obtained his B.Tech. in Metallurgical Engineering from the IIT, Madras, India, and his M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Cincinnati. He was a staff member at Novellus Systems, CA, and a Visiting Scientist at the Physics Department of Linköping University, Sweden, before he joined the Rensselaer faculty in Fall 1998 as an Assistant Professor. He became a tenured Associate Professor in 2003, and was promoted to full Professor in 2006. He served as the Director of the Center for Future Energy Systems (CFES), a New York State Center for Advanced Technology (CAT) from April 2008 until Jan 2010.
He is a recipient of a Early CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation (2000), Prof. Bergmann Memorial Young Scientist Award from the US-Israel Binational Science Foundation (2003), and is a co-recipient of IBM Research Partnership Award (1999-2006), Best paper award IEEE Nano (Hong Kong, 2007). He has been a Visiting Professor at the International Center for Young Scientists, and the World Premier Institute for Materials Nanoarchitectronics (MANA, 2010) at the National Institute of Materials Science, Tsukuba, Japan (2004, 2010), the Nanoscale Science Department at the Max Planck Institute für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany as an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (2004-2005), the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (summer 2006), and the Institute for Superconducting and Electronic Materials, University of Wollogong, Australia (2007, 2010). He is an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology since October 2003, and serves on the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Experimental Nanoscience and the The Open Materials Science Journal.
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Materials Science and Engineering M.S., University of Cincinnati Materials Science and Engineering B.S., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (now Chennai) Metallurgical Engineering
- A new class of doped nanobulk high figure of merit thermoelectrics by scalable bottom-up assembly, R. J. Mehta, Y. Zhang, C. Karthik, B. Singh, R.W. Siegel, T. Borca-Tasciuc, G. Ramanath, Nature Mater. 11, 233-240 (2012); doi:10.1038/nmat3213.
- Seebeck and figure of merit enhancement in nanostructured antimony telluride by antisite defect suppression through sulfur doping, R.J. Mehta, Y. Zhang, H. Zhu, D.S. Parker, M. Belley, D.J. Singh, R. Ramprasad, T. Borca-Tasciuc, G. Ramanath, Nano Lett. 12(9) 4523-29 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl301639t
- Lattice thermal conductivity diminution and high thermoelectric power factor retention in nanoporous macroassemblies of sulfur-doped bismuth telluride nanocrystals, Y.L. Zhang, R.J. Mehta, M. Belley, L. Han, G. Ramanath, T. Borca-Tasciuc, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100(19) 193113 1-3 (2012). DOI: 10.1063/1.4711774
- Atomistic fracture energy partitioning at a metal-ceramic interface using a nanomolecular monolayer, A. Jain, B. Singh, S. Garg, N. Ravishankar, M. Lane, G. Ramanath, Phys. Rev. B. 83, 035412 (2011)
- High efficiency nanobulk thermoelectrics by bottom-up nanocrystal sculpting and assembly, R.J. Mehta, G. Ramanath, Amer. Cer. Soc. Bull. 91(3), 28-33 (2012).
- Dye sensitized solar cells using branched titania nanotube arrays, G. Butail, R. Teki, P. G. Ganesan, N. Ravishankar, G. Ramanath, Thin Solid Films 520(7), 2764-2768 (2012).
- Effects of molecular functionalization sequence on mesoporous silica film properties, B. Singh, S. Garg, A. Jain, D. D. Gandhi, R. Moore, G. Ramanath, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 29, 010602 (2011)
- Metal-dielectric interface toughening by molecular nanolayer decomposition, S. Garg, A. Jain, C. Karthik, B. Singh, R. Teki, V. S. Smentkowski, M. W. Lane, G. Ramanath. J. Appl.Phys. 108, 034317 (2010)
- Ring-opening-induced toughening of a low-permittivity polymer-metal interface, B. Singh, S. Garg, J. Rathore, R. Moore, N. Ravishankar, L. Interrante, G. Ramanath, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2(5), 1275-1280 (2010). Cover page feature
- Nanoscale heterostructures with molecular-scale single-crystal metal wires, P. Kundu, A. Halder, B. Viswanath, D. Kundu, G. Ramanath, N. Ravishankar, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132 (1), 20-1 (2010)
- Editor, Special Issue on Emerging Multifunctional Nanostructures, H. Y. Fan, Y. F. Lu, G. Ramanath, J. A. Pomposo, J. Nanomater. Editorial (2009)