Professor Tomozawa received a Ph.D. degree in metallurgy and materials science from the University of Pennsylvania in 1968, after working for the Nippon Electric Company for four years. He joined the faculty at Rensselaer in 1969. He has published extensively in the area of glass science and edited several books on the subject. He served as the Chair of the Glass and Optical Materials Division of the American Ceramic Society and is a fellow of the American Ceramic Society.
Ph.D. Metallurgy and Materials Science (University of Pennsylvania, 1968), B.S. Electrochemistry (Yokohama National University, Japan, 1961)
- J. H. Seaman, P.J. Lezzi, T.A. Blanchet, M. Tomozawa, “Modeling slow crack growth behavior of glass strengthening by a subcritical tensile stress using surface stress relaxation” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 98 (2015) 3075-3086.
- J.H. Seaman, P.J. Lezzi, T.A. Blanchet, M. Tomozawa, “Degradation of ion-exchange strengthened glass due to surface stress relaxation” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 403 (2014) 113-123.
- X. Su, B.C. Riggs, M. Tomozawa, J.K. Nelson, D.B. Chrisey, “Preparation of BaTiO3/low melting glass core-shell nanoparticles for energy storage capacitor applications” J. Mat Chem. 42 (2014) 18087-18096
- P.J. Lezzi, Q.R. Xia, M. Tomozawa, T.A. Blanchet, C.R. Kurkjian, “Strength increase of silica glass fibers by surface stress relaxation: A new mechanical strength method” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 379 (2013) 95-106.
- M. Tomozawa, P.J. Lezzi, R.W. Hepburn, T.A. Blanchet, “Surface stress relaxation and resulting residual stress in glass fibers: A new mechanical strengthening mechanism of glasses” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 356 (2012) 2650-2662.
- P.J. Lezzi, M. Tomozawa, “Enthalpy of mixing of mixed alkali glasses” J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 356 (22010) 1439-1446.
- M. Tomozawa, A. Koike, S.R. Ryu, “Exponential structural relaxation of high purity silica glass” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 354 (2008) 4685-4690.
- T.M. Gross, M. Tomozawa “Fictive temperature-independent density and minimum indentation size effect in calcium alumino-silicate glass” J. Appl. Phys. 104 (2008) 063529.
- S.R. Ryu, M. Tomozawa, “Structural relaxation of bulk and fiber silica glass as a function of fictive temperature and holding temperature” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 89 (2006) 81-88.
- A. Koike, S.R. Ryu, M. Tomozawa, “Adequacy test of the fictive temperature of silica glass determined by IR spectroscopy” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 351 (2005) 52-54.