Department Head and Gail and Jeffrey L. Kodosky ‘70 Chair. Professor
Vincent Meunier is the Head of the Physics, Applied Physics, and Astronomy Department at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he holds the Gail and Jeffrey L. Kodosky ’70 Constellation Chair.
Meunier earned a PhD from the University of Namur in Belgium in 1999 under the supervision of Professor Philippe Lambin. He was a Senior R&D staff member at Oak Ridge National Laboratory until 2010 when he joined Rensselaer. He has published approximately 200 papers in peer-reviewed journals and is a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
Meunier leads the Innovative Computational Material Physics (ICMP) group at Rensselaer. His research uses computation to examine the atom-level details of materials. He is particularly interested in low-dimensional materials and domains where he can collaboratively work with engineers and experimentalists to optimize these materials, starting at the atomic level and targeting functionality.
Meunier's teaching focuses on Computational Physics education; he has been teaching Computational Physics at the senior undergraduate level at Rensselaer since 2010. He also teaches "Introduction to Density Functional Theory" and "Advanced Computational Physics" at the graduate level. He strives to bring modern computational approaches to the classroom, including state-of-the-art algorithms and the practical use of parallel and GPU computing.
- Effect of pressure on the Raman-active modes of zircon (ZrSiO4): a first-principles study, N Sheremetyeva, DJ Cherniak, EB Watson, V Meunier Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, 1-12 (2017)
- On-Surface Cyclization of ortho-Dihalotetracenes to Four and Six-membered Rings, Carlos Sánchez-Sánchez, Adrien Nicolaï, Frédéric Rossel, Jinming Cai, Junzhi Liu, Xinliang Feng, Klaus Müllen, Pascal Ruffieux, Roman Fasel, Vincent Meunier Journal of the American Chemical Society (2017)
- Physical properties of low-dimensional sp2-based carbon nanostructures, V. Meunier, A. G. Souza Filho, E. B. Barros, and M. S. Dresselhaus, Rev. Mod. Phys. 88, 025005 (2016)
- Periodic Arrays of Phosphorene Nanopores as Antidot Lattices with Tunable Properties. Andrew Cupo, Paul Masih Das, Chen-Chi Chien, Gopinath Danda, Neerav Kharche, Damien Tristant, Marija Drndić, Vincent Meunier ACS nano 11 (7), 7494-7507 (2017)
- Modification of the electronic properties of hexagonal boron-nitride in BN/graphene vertical heterostructures, Minghu Pan, Liangbo Liang, Wenzhi Lin, Soo Min Kim, Qing Li, Jing Kong, Mildred S Dresselhaus, Vincent Meunier 2D Materials, 3, 045002 (2016)
- Controlled Sculpture of Black Phosphorus Nanoribbons, P. Masih Das, G. Danda, A. Cupo, W. M. Parkin, L. Liang, N. Kharche, X. Ling, S. Huang, M. S. Dresselhaus, V. Meunier, and M Drndić, ACS Nano, 10, 5687 (2016)
- Raman shifts in electron-irradiated monolayer MoS2, W. M. Parkin, A. Balan, L. Liang, P. Masih Das, M. Lamparski, C. Naylor, J. Rodríguez-Manzo, AT Charlie Johnson, V. Meunier, and M. Drndić, ACS Nano, 10, 4134 (2016)
- Electronic, vibrational, Raman, and scanning tunneling microscopy signatures of two-dimensional boron nanomaterials, Daniel VP Massote, Liangbo Liang, Neerav Kharche, Vincent Meunier Phys. Rev. B, 94, 195416 (2016)
- Anisotropic Electron-Photon and Electron-Phonon Interactions in Black Phosphorus, X. Ling, S. Huang, E.H. Hasdeo, L. Liang, W.M. Parkin, Y. Tatsumi, A.R.T. Nugraha, A.A. Puretzky, P. Masih Das, B.G. Sumpter, D.B. Geohegan, J. Kong, R. Saito, M. Drndić, V. Meunier, M.S. Dresselhaus, Nano Lett., 16 (4), 2260 (2016)
- Graphene nanoribbon heterojunctions, J.M. Cai, C.A. Pignedoli, L. Talirz, P. Ruffieux, H. Sode, L.B. Liang, V. Meunier, R. Berger, R.J, Li, X.L. Feng, K. Mullen, and R. Fasel, Nature Nanotechnology 9, 896-900 (2014)
- First-principles Raman spectra of MoS2, WS2 and their heterostructures, L.B. Liang and V. Meunier, Nanoscale 6, 5394 (2014)
- Low-Frequency Interlayer Raman Modes to Probe Interface of Twisted Bilayer MoS2, S Huang, L Liang, X Ling, AA Puretzky, D Geohegan, BG Sumpter, J Kong, V. Meunier, and M.S. Dresselhaus Nano Letters, 16, 1435 (2016)
- Electronic Bandgap and Edge Reconstruction in Phosphorene Materials, L.B. Liang, J. Wang, W.Z. Lin, B.G. Sumpter, V. Meunier, and M.H. Pan, M. H. Nano Lett. 14, 6400 (2014)
- Atomically Precise Graphene Nanoribbon Heterojunctions for Excitonic Solar Cells. L.B. Liang, and V. Meunier, J. Phys. Chem. C 119, 775-783 (2015)
- Electronic Transport of Recrystallized Freestanding Graphene Nanoribbons. Z.J. Qi, C. Daniels, S.J. Hong, Y.W. Park, V. Meunier, M. Drndić, and A.T.C. Johnson, ACS Nano 9, 3510-3520 (2015).
- Electrolyte Diffusion in Gyroidal Nanoporous Carbon, A. Nicolai, J. Monti, C. Daniels, V. Meunier, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 119, 2896-2903 (2015)
- Quasi one-dimensional band dispersion and surface metallization in long-range ordered polymeric wires G Vasseur, Y Fagot-Revurat, M Sicot, B Kierren, L Moreau, D Malterre et al., Nature Communications 7 (2016)
- Improved All-Carbon Spintronic Device Design, Z. Bullard, E.C. Girão, J.R. Owens, W.A. Shelton, V. Meunier Scientific Reports 5 (2015)
- Modern Theories of Carbon-Based Electrochemical Capacitors. Supercapacitors, J. Huang, R. Qiao, G. Feng, B.G. Sumpter, and V. Meunier, Wiley, New York, 167-206 (2013)