Dr. Shi received his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2006. Prior to joining Rensselaer, he spent two years in North Carolina State University as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. Dr. Shi's research focuses on simulation and modeling of advanced materials systems. His recent interests include nanoporous carbon, molecular motors and energetic materials. Dr. Shi also received the Best Poster Award from the Materials Research Society in 2002 and the Albert Yee Award from the University of Michigan in 2005.
Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2006) M.S. Materials Science and Engineering (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2002) B.S. Materials Science and Engineering (Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2000)
- J. Luo, P. Keblinski, Y. F. Shi, “A model metallic glass exhibits size-independent tensile ductility”, Acta Materialia, 103, 587-594 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2015.10.029
- Y. Wang, Y. F. Shi, G. Xin, J. Lian, J. Shi, “Two-Dimensional van der Waals Epitaxy Kinetics in a Three-Dimensional Perovskite Halide”, Crystal Growth & Design, 15 (10), 4741-4749 (2015).
- J. Luo, K. A. Dahmen, P. K. Liaw, Y. F. Shi, “Low Cycle Fatigue of Metallic Glass Nanowires”, Acta Materialia, 87, 225-332 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2014.12.038
- J. Luo, Y. F. Shi, “The local stress state of a running shear band in amorphous solids”, Journal of Materials Research, 30, 12, 1979-1987 (2015).
- J. Luo, Y. F. Shi, “Tensile Fracture of Metallic Glasses via Shear Band Cavitation”, Acta Materialia, 82, 483-490 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2014.09.008
- P. Chow, E. Singh, B. Neto, J. Gao, J. Luo, J. Li, Z. Lin, A. Elias, Y.F. Shi, Z. Wang, M. Terrones, N. Koratkar, “Wetting of Mono and Few-Layered WS2 and MoS2 Films Supported on Si/SiO2 Substrates”, ACS Nano, 9 (3), 3023-3031 (2015).
- Y. F. Shi, “A minimalist's reactive potential for efficient molecular modelling of chemistry”, Molecular Simulation, 41 (1-3), 3-12 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08927022.2014.918975
- J. Luo, Y. F. Shi, C. R. Picu, “Shear-induced volumetric strain in CuZr metallic glass”, International Journal of Engineering Science, 83, 99-106 (2014).
- Y. F. Shi, J. Luo, F. L. Yuan, L. P. Huang, “Intrinsic Ductility of Amorphous Solids”, Journal of Applied Physics, 115, 043528 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4862959